The canyons around Mt Wilson are some of the best in Australia and are truly amazing places to see. A number of canyoning groups will be run during BME. These will be lead by experienced Trip Leaders backed up by an assistant. Negotiating these canyons requires abseiling and swimming (often in very cold water). Due to the technical nature of canyoning, participants must undergo abseil training before attending the trip. The training sessions will be organised before BME.
Canyoners must have the following gear for BME. Items marked * are available from the gearstore:
- Prussik loop*
- Two locking carabiners*
- One clip carabiner*
- Wetsuit* (use your own if you have one
- Canyon bag* / daypack.
- Dry bag* or at least two heavy duty garbage bags.
- Soft rubber soled shoes. You must be able to swim in them. Recommend canvas shoes
- Thermals/emergency clothing. Polypropolene or wool. NO COTTON. Recommend including socks and a beanie
- 2L Water
- Emergency food. High energy. I recommend a couple of choccy bars
- Space blanket