The snow is finally here! Big dump happening on Friday and then continuing Sat and Sun.
This will be a backcountry ski trip (no lifts, we walk up and ski back down) for Alpine Touring and Telemark skiers. http://anumc.org.au/files/Ski%20information.pdf
Due to the low visibility, we'll do Guthega Creek, which is only a few kms from the cars and has lots of trees. The area would be classed as blue/intermediate in a ski resort. The weather will be a bit challenging, so preference will be given to people with prior snow camping experience, but I'll try and leave space for some first timers.
The gear store has most of what you need (skis, boots, tents, sleeping bags, sleeping mats, waterproof pants and jackets), but you will need your own ski clothing suitable for heavy snow falls. The gear store has waterproof jackets and overpants, but you will need thermal tops and bottoms, warm jackets (preferably synthetic, definitely not cotton), beanie/balaclava, goggles, waterproof gloves. There's a detailed list on the club website: http://anumc.org.au/activities/skiing
When you sign up, tell me the following:
- Skiing ability (never skied, skied a few times, intermediate, advanced, skiing since I could walk, etc.)
- Snow camping experience (never, a couple of times, lots)
- What kind of car you have
- Do you have chains for it (if not, then tell me your wheel size written on the tyre e.g. 205/70R15, 215/60R16, etc.)
- Do you have an All Parks Pass
- What equipment do you NOT have (http://anumc.org.au/files/Skiing%20what%20to%20bring.pdf)
Let me know of any other questions and I'll be in touch. We'll have a pre-trip at the gear store on Thursday.