Overview: A beginner ski weekend to get comfortable with skiing and camping in very cold conditions (there won't be snow at our actual campsite). This is a good trip to go on if you want some experience before heading out on beginner trips to the Kosciuszko Main Range. Note - this will be a long two days, we will be leaving Canberra very early on Saturday and getting back very late on Sunday.
Day 1: Learn to telemark / NNNBC on the Perisher Nordic trails. The most apt of us will then ski to Charlotte's Pass and grab a beer / hot chocolate from the ski resort, before skiing back to Perisher via the road.
Day 2: Alpine Touring skiing at Guthega.
Camp: We'll camp the night at Island Bend.
In order to attend this trip you will need to:
- sign up to this trip
- come to the pre-trip meeting on Thursday. We will discuss everything you need to know to attend this trip at this meeting, including how to set up the AT skis.
You will need a lot of gear for this trip as it includes skiing and camping. A lot of the gear you can hire from the ANUMC gear store after our pre-trip meeting.
Gear you will need that you can't hire is as follows:
- head torch
- thermal underwear (purchase from Paddy Pallin or Mont)
- warm, synthetic clothing (pants, tops, beanie etc)
- ski goggles / sunglasses
- Methylated spirits for a Trangia (cooking stove)
- food (included lunches to take on the individual day trips)
- day backpack
Gear that you can hire is as follows:
- skis & ski boots & skins
- waterproof pants and jacket
- cooking stove
- sleeping bag & liner
- sleeping mat
- foam mat for day out at snow
- overnight (as in large) backpack & waterproof liner
The number of trip participants that can attend this trip will depend on the number of experienced people that sign up, as well as the number of large cars (roof racks or station wagons) that we can get. Email me if you have any questions.