This December, over Christmas and into the New Year, I’m hoping to lead an expedition to Tasmania for some trad climbing mostly on the Tasman Peninsula and around Hobart, with possible sidetrips to Ben Lomond, Freycinct national park and Frenchman’s cap.
We will assemble in Hobart on the 14th of December. I will be taking a car by ferry across to the island and may be able to pick up a few people flying to Launceston. Once in Hobart we will then spend two days climbing on the Organ pipes at Mt Wellington. On the 16th we will move to the Tasman peninsula and spend two days each climbing at Mt Brown, Cape Raoul and then 2-4 days in Fortescue Bay, which includes to ionic Candlestick, maoi and totem pole. After this we may then head to Freycinct for long trad ascents or traverses followed by climbing at Ben Lomond for New Years. For the final week, depending on the team composition and sentiment, we will either head back to Launceston or Hobart for some more single pitch trad climbing or hike to Frenchman’s cape to attempt some of the longest vertical multipitch routes in Australia.
- All party members must at minimum be able to comfortably second or jumar a grade 16 trad route.
- Most party members must have some experience trad climbing. We may be able to take one or two beginners but this will be dependent on the approval of more experienced members leading the pitches. At least half of all party members will have experience leading on trad.
- All members must be self-sufficient and able to self-rescue. I may run a few courses on self-rescue at the climbing wall over the next few weeks so please speak to me if you are interested.
- Leaders should be able to lead comfortably on trad up to at least grade 16.
- Significant fitness may be required to reach peaks such as Frenchman’s cap in a single day.
The estimated costs for this trip are extremely variable over the Christmas break due to the high demand for flights and accommodation over Christmas. The first in will be the cheapest served
- ($200-$500) Flights (variable depending on whether flying from Sydney or Melbourne as well as the booking)
- $50-100 for car hire/transit across bass strait (I have found car transit to be cheaper than hiring)
- ~$50-100 ($5-10 per night) for camping fees on the Tasman peninsula and in Freycinct national park.
- ~ $15-20 for all parks pass
- Up to $300 for accommodation in hostels/cabins. The choice on whether we opt to stay in any accommodation outside camping will be made collectively as a group.
- Food and related expenses (~$300-400 - although with careful planning the cost of food could be reduced considerably)
- Fuel (split equally among all trip members)
Items to bring individually
- Climbing shoes
- Hiking shoes
- Warm clothes (including at least one thermal top)
- Tent (can be shared)
- Enough clothes for ~ 1 week without having to wash.
- Sleeping bag
Items to bring as a group (we will climb mostly in pairs)
- Trad rack (double rack recommended)
- First aid kit.
The number of places available for this trip will be limited by the number of cars we can get across bass strait as well as the number of available trad racks so please treat your sign-up as an expression of interest until I personally confirm.