PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP TO THIS ACTIVITY UNLESS YOU ARE PART OF THE CANYON LEADER 2020 SKILLS GROUP
Leave ANU Sport at 7am, drive to Bungonia State Conservation Area. Follow the Yellow track to enter Bungonia Creek. The canyon involves 3 abseils (20-50m), 1-2 jumps and multiple swims. Following the last abseil, follow the creek to just before the Slot Canyon and exit via the Red track (anti-clockwise) back to the car.
Total time from entry to exit should be 5 hours.
Participants will need:
- prusik cords
- descending device (figure 8 or ATC)
- canyon bag
- dry bags/heavy duty garbage bags
- 4 x locking carabiners (for descender, safety prusik, PAS and spare)
- personal Anchor System - 120cm sling minimum
- spare dry change of clothes (left in car)
- space blanket
- Emergency thermals.
Recommend wearing clothing you can swim in including long sleave synthetic shirt, long shorts, long socks, canvas shoes, hat.
Gear should be picked up from the gearstore prior to the activity. The group equipment will include 2 x 60m 9mm ropes, 3 x tape and maillons, first aid kit.
Do not attend if:
- you're feeling unwell or have flu-like symptoms
- have travelled internationally, come from a hotspot or been exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, and/or
- your health is considered high risk
If there is a spike in untraced community transmission in Canberra this trip may be cancelled.