Single Pitch climbing not cutting it for you? Want to climbing that bit higher? Multi pitching could just be the thing for you!
The plan is to spend two days (10-11th December) in the area around Mittagong doing some single pitch and beginner multi-pitch climbing. The rough plan is:
Thursday 10th - Leave Canberra at 7am and drive to Mt. Alexandria Crag (https://www.thecrag.com/en/climbing/australia/mt-alexandra) where we will spend the day doing some single pitch climbing.
We will then drive and camp at Belanglo State Forest for the night. A lovely spot among the pine trees :)
Friday 11th - Drive to Mt. Gibraltar (https://www.thecrag.com/en/climbing/australia/mt-gibraltar), where (depending of time), we will cover the following skills:
- Overview of multi-pitch climbing
- How to securely anchor yourself at height for a belay
- How to use a Quad anchor system
- How to perform a top belay
- How to progress up the wall
- Assessing risk in Multi pitch climbing
+ Any other areas of interest within the sphere of mutli-pitching or just climbing in general!
This trip is aimed at people who have had a decent level of experience sport climbing (outdoors) and are wanting to expand there knowledge into sport multi pitch climbing. Experience leading sport routes is essential - this is a multi-pitch climbing trip not a lead climbing trip :)
List of essential gear:
- Harness (with gear loops)
- Chalk (optional)
- Small multi-pitching bag
- Climbing shoes
- Belay device + Carabiner
- Water + Lunch + Snacks
- Camping supplies (Tent, Stove etc.)
I will be providing more details on this list once numbers and participants are confirmed.
Interested? When you sign up please provide a short description of what experience you have outdoor climbing so I can get an idea of whether this trip would be right for you!
I am trying to not make the trip too large (so participants can get the most out of it) and would be great to get a balance of experienced multi pitch climbers and new comers as well as making sure we have enough drivers, so please note that **signing up doesn’t guarantee a spot on the trip** for that reason.
Do not attend if:
- you're feeling unwell or have flu-like symptoms
- have traveled internationally, come from a hotspot or been exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, and/or
- your health is considered high risk