Come and try the fun sport of mountain biking at one of Australia's premier mountain biking locales!
The plan is to meet either at 2:00pm outside the ANU Sport Building (the building where the gear store and climbing walls are located), or at 2:30pm at the Stromlo Forest Park carpark at the pavillion. We will then ride a number of green and blue trails in the mountain bike park before returning to the carpark and optionally the ANU campus. You will need to be able to get yourself and your bike to Stromlo Forest Park — there may be limited space available in other trip participant's vehicles, potentially leaving from the ANU campus, but make sure you organise that in advance.
While at Stromlo we will choose from 3 general routes depending on what the group wants to do:
- Option 1 is to ride a flatter circuit with less climbs/descents, by travelling out to the back side of the park via the Willow Link trail, riding blue/green trails out there and then returning via Dingo/White Gums
- Option 2 is to ride up to the top of Mount Stromlo via the Cockatoo Switchbacks, Emu Run etc, and descend via Skyline and Luge
- Option 3 is to ride up to the top of Mount Stromlo via Wattle Happen and Heartbreaker, descend to the back of the park via Western Wedgetail, riding blue/green trails out there and then returning via Dingo/White Gums
We can of course combine different parts of the above routes e.g. half of option 2 and half of option 3, if people have a preference to ride particular trails.
What you will need:
- Transport to/from Stromlo Forest Park
- Mountain bike suitable for off-road use
- Helmet (required by law in the ACT)
- Suitable clothing and any protective items you wish to wear (e.g. shorts, t-shirt, sturdy sports shoes, sports sunglasses, gloves, knee/elbow pads, sunscreen)
Additionally you may wish to bring:
- Packable rainwear
- A small backpack or hydration pack to carry your items
In the event of rain the trip will proceed if it's only light showers, but if it's raining heavily then the trip will be postponed or cancelled.
This trip is suitable for intermediate riders as the trails we will be riding are rated as green and blue trails with the possibility of a black obstacle or section here or there.
To register, log in to this website, select the trip, fill in your details and click Create Registration at the bottom of the page. If you do not have a login click the Create A New Account link to create an account. Then register for the activity.