*Postponed due to weather concerns. Selected participants have been advised and a new date will be announced soon. Registration for this trip remains closed and the waitlist is full*
Join us for the walk from Charlotte Pass to Mt Kosciousko, via the summit track. Mt Kosciuszko is the highest peak on the Australian continent, at 2228m above sea level.
This is a beautiful walk. The route is 18.5km, and gains around 611m elevation. The route takes around 6-7 hours return, including stopping for a picnic lunch. We will be walking at a slow to moderate pace, and stopping regularly, making this walk suitable for beginners. We will always walk to the pace of the slowest in the group.
This route can suddenly become very cold and very windy. Even in March, snow is a possibility. Participants will need:
- Warm clothing (note: the weather can change suddenly. Please bring extra warm clothes)
- Windproof/waterproof jacket
- Hat and sunscreen
- Sturdy walking shoes
- 2L of water
We will meet outside ANU gym at 7:00am. We will then drive to Cooma to grab some coffees/driver rest, then continue on to the Charlotte Pass Summit Trail car park.
We will then walk from Charlotte Pass to the top of Mt Kosciuszko, via the Summit Track. Mt Kosciuszko is Australia's tallest mountain, and on a clear day has 360degree views across Australia's spectacular high country. The walk also contains small bridges over babbling brooks, and the chance to see some beautiful sweeping views if the weather holds. Full trip notes are available here: http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/kosciuszko-np-sou...
We will have a picnic lunch along the way, and of course enjoy the views at the top of Australia. Returning to our cars, will drive back to Canberra. Be warned: this is a long day. Please let us know if you would be willing to share the driving.
Note: The number of participants on this trip will be determined by the number of cars we have available. Drivers will be reimbursed for petrol and the cost of the National Park Entry.
Note also: Even in March, snowstorms are a possibility. If extreme weather is predicted, the trip will be postponed/cancelled. If the weather changes suddenly during the hike, we may need to return to the cars without having gone to the summit. Safety is our priority. We won't be taking risks.