Description taken from (https://www.alpineaccess.com.au/avalanche-course-ast1-australia/)
AST1 is a two day course – 1 day in the classroom, and 1 day out in the backcountry.
What you will learn in an AST 1 course:
- avalanche formation and release
- identify avalanche terrain
- the basics of trip planning
- optimal use of tools and resources like the avalanche forecasts to mitigate your avalanche risk
- use appropriate travel techniques in avalanche terrain
- companion rescue using beacon, shovel, probe.
We also incorporate into the field day of our course an emphasis on backcountry touring technique, safe touring in the Australian backcountry and touring etiquette. The participants on our courses are always a diverse group with one main thing in common, a passion for the mountains and a desire to learn the skills and knowledge to be safe in the backcountry. This makes for a fun, stimulating & challenging two days.
the full cost is $320 per person but hopefully with club funding this will be greatly decrease. this trip is just here to show that there are people interested in this course and that it is worth giving club funding.
When you sign up please give me a brief description of your experience. this trip is mostly aimed at people who have been ski touring/ engaged with the backcountry and wish to gain more skills and safety.