Weekly climbing times for 2021 can be found here.
Weekly climbing is conducted on the indoor climbing walls in the Sport and Recreation Centre. Climbers must be ANUMC members and have a current belay pass to use the climbing wall. Experienced climbers who can already belay should contact the climbing wall officers to organise a quick evaluation. For new climbers, passes are provided after completing a belay course under supervision of a climbing wall officer. Belay passes cost $5 with application forms available from the ANU Sport front desk. Belay course are posted on the trip calendar or you can contact the climbing wall officers if there are none available.
Whenever using the climbing wall, climbers must display their membership card and belay passes on their harness.
- Supervised. Supervised social indoor climbing is available during club climbing times. Harnesses, carabiners and shoes are also available free of charge for members. Solo climbers can generally find a belay partner during club climbing times.
- Unsupervised. Climbers who have their own equipment and a belay pass, can climb during "off-peak" times. There are no wall officers during off-peak times, so climbers are expected to organise their own belay partner, behave responsibly and leave the wall in a tidy state. When climbing at off-peak times climbers must still sign in at the SRA front desk and show their belay pass.
- Private Bookings. Club members with belay passes can also book the climbing wall for private use. To book, two club members with belay passes must visit the ANU Sport front desk. No supervision is provided for private bookings, and club gear will generally not be available. Members who book the wall are responsible for sweeping chalk off the floor at the end of their booking.
*NOTE: Bouldering wall is not currently open as of Semester one 2021*
The bouldering wall is located in the ANUMC Gear Store.
Access to the wall is dependent on the availability of bouldering officers to open the gearstore. While we do our best to open the wall open as often and consistently as possible, bouldering officers are volunteers and so times are subject to change. Nevertheless officers will try to notify the Facebook group when and approximately for how long the wall will be open, and if they cannot cover certain sessions.
In order to climb at the bouldering wall you MUST have a valid ANUMC climbing wall belay pass (obtained at a belay course) which you must have available to present. To gain access, turn up anytime the wall is open. You must then sign a WAIVER and have your belay pass SIGNED BY AN OFFICER, after a safety induction.
It is NOT POSSIBLE to hire gear during the bouldering wall opening hours. Bouldering wall participants are not allowed to access the club gear store without a gear store officer present.
Regular social paddles depart from the ANU boatshed on Sullivan’s Creek. These sessions are ideal for developing skills and confidence before participating in weekend trips further afield. Beginner paddlers will be supervised and must demonstrate their ability to exit an upturned kayak before participating.
Paddlers must bring clothes and shoes that can get wet. Additionally, sun protection and a warm top are also recommended.
Weekly paddling is ad-hoc. Generally, paddle sessions are as follows:
- Beginner Paddling: Tuesday at 6:30am
- Fitness session: Thursday at 6:30am
Subscribe to the anumc-padl mailing list for updates or contact the kayaking officers.