How do I join the ANU Mountaineering Club?
- Join ANU Sport (if you are NOT an ANU student)
- Create a website account - http://anumc.org.au/user/register
- Attend the Gear Store on Tuesday or Thursday, 6pm - 6:30pm, to pay your membership fee (cash only!)
ANU Sport Membership
Before you can join the ANUMC, you must be a member of the ANU Sport & Recreation Association (you can do this at the SRA desk or on-line) and secondly, you need to show us proof of current membership. PLEASE NOTE: an SRA membership card is NOT acceptable as proof of current SRA membership because it does not have an expiry date printed on it!!
- Full-time domestic Australian undergraduate and postgraduate students of the ANU are automatically members of the SRA. Simply show a current and valid ANU student card when signing up.
- All other persons must take out SRA membership first ($120 per year) and present their receipt when signing up to the club. You may request a reprint of your receipt from the front desk staff at the SRA at any time. We cannot sign you up to the ANUMC without this proof of SRA membership – no exceptions sorry! Any questions regarding SRA membership are best directed to the SRA Membership Services Officer at this phone number: (02) 6125 2273.
How much does it cost to join the ANUMC?
- $50 for current ANU students (both full and part time)
- $75 for everyone else
- FREE for Exec, Committee Members, Valued Club Affiliates, Honorary Coaches and Life Members of the ANUMC
We offer an early bird discount of $10 to the end of O Week, which makes the price $40 for students and $65 for non-students. You can take advantage of the discount by joining at the Market Day stall, Come and Try Day or gear store on Tuesday and Thursday during O Week (see times below).
Our membership year runs from 1 February to the last day of February in the following year. Memberships for people joining on or after 1 September will cost only $30 for ANU students and $50 for non-students to reflect the reduced time covered.
How can I pay?
There are two ways of paying your membership fees when you join the club:
- 1. At the Market Day stall on the Wednesday of O-week - cash only!!
- 2. At the gear store from 6:00 - 6.30pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays - cash only!!
Can I try out a trip or two before signing up to the Club?
Non-members may participate in a limited number of club trips for a small fee. While this isn't the preferred option, it's a chance to see what the club is all about. See the membership categories page for more information about joining the SRA and special membership categories. The ANUMC's policy concerning non-members on club trips can be found on the participating in a trip page.
Ok I've joined the best club on campus, now what?
Participate in trips! All of our trips are posted on the trip calendar. Check back regularly to avoid missing new trips. You will need to sign up to the trip on the trip calendar to let the trip leader know you are going to attend. Trips are also advertised on the club facebook page (search ANU mountaineering club) and on the relevant mailing lists. You can subscribe to mailing lists from your users page on this site.
You can also run your own trips! That's really the best part of the ANUMC- the trips are run by people just like you. If you are not confident leading a trip but are keen to get involved then speak to your activity officer. They can offer advice and possibly match you up with a mentor.