This will be an overnight walk in Kosciusko National Park, including mix of on track and off track walking along with a few rock scrambles. Suitable for those who have walked overnight before, and who are looking to get out and check out some amazing views from the Main Range.
Registering for this trip does not guarantee you a spot. I will notify everyone who has registered on Tuesday 11th April who has been selected to attend (this will be a function of experience, ability to drive and keeping the group a suitable size of maximum 8 but subject to having another experienced walker attending).
The Sentinel may not be one of the highest peaks on the Main Range but it’s certainly one of the better looking ones. With its knife edge approach and steep climb to the summit, it is sure to get the adrenaline pumping.
We will depart the ANU Sport at 0700 on Saturday and head for Guthega dam where we will park the cars. We will walk uphill and mostly off track to the main range, then along the main range and off the track again to the Sentinel, before coming back a few kilometers and dropping down to Pound Creek to camp. Approximate distance of 15km, with approximately 900m of elevation gain.
On Day 2 we will continue along the range over Mount Anderson and Mt Tate before continuing through Consett Stephen Pass. From here it is down the ridge/spur to the east of the Guthega River to Guthega Dam and back to the car(s). Approximately 12km, undulations some small climbs and 500m of elevation loss. Indicative route is as per https://maps.ozultimate.com/?id=1680344574677
This trip is suitable for fit intermediate walkers, with a strong preference for those who have undertaken overnight bushwalks prior. The majority of the walk is off track and exposed. It will be steep and over rough terrain with the occasional snow drift to navigate. There will be a scramble or two on our way to the summit of the Sentinel.
This is an alpine area, and it will be mid April so expect overnight temperatures to be in the range of -3 - 3 degrees C. As an alpine area it can snow any time of year - if the forecast is not condusive to a safe trip this may be cancelled the day prior, or moved to a more favourable location at short notice.
The fine print
If you haven’t walked with me before please give me a brief description of your past bushwalking experience when signing up. Prior experience isn’t necessarily a pre requisite for this trip.
If the weather looks bad, I will cancel the trip. The cancellation may happen as late as the morning of. Please keep this in mind when registering. Unfortunately, this is the nature of any trip to the high country.
Pre trip and transport:
We will have a pre trip meeting on Thursday 13th April at 5.30pm at the gear store. This will allow us to go over the trip plan and organise gear. I will need volunteers to drive as I will be without a car that weekend. If we don't get a driver the trip will not be able to be undertaken. Please let me know if you have a car and can drive.