Social Camping at Island Bend in Kosciuszko NP, day trip options will be organized based on interest.
We're organizing this early so campsites don't book out for the second weekend of ski areas being open, we have two booked for 6 people. The weather is hard to predict this far out - if it's rainy or the snow is terrible we'll discuss alternate options.
Plan is to leave Canberra around 16:00 to arrive at Island Bend around 19:00. We'll have Saturday and the first half of Sunday to do whatever activities people want to do, then drive back Sunday afternoon.
Potential day trip options depending on interest from participants and leaders
- Beginner ski touring/snowshoing on the Perisher cross country trails (or at the ski area base on man-made snow)
- Hiking some of the beautiful sub-alpine medows
- Relaxing by a fire
- Snowball fights
Some folks may separate from the club trip for the day to downhill ski at Perisher. I'm hoping to teach a few people to cross country ski on Saturday morning.
- -5 degree sleeping bag
- winter camping mat
- winter sleeping pad
- rainjacket or other waterproof/windproof shell
- puffer jacket
- two sets of thermals
- three pairs of wool socks - one for each day and one for sleeping
- sunglasses for snow reflection
- sun hat
Additionally, it'd be great to organize communal cooking or a potluck, please write if you're interested in helping organize this!